Faculty and Families of HCSD 1521/2,
With the ongoing growing concerns related to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), we would like to assure you we are taking the concerns seriously and monitoring the situation closely. We are committed to the health and safety of our students and staff.
We are not aware of any confirmed or reported cases of Coronavirus in the area or among our students or staff. The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) has stated the health risks to the general public from COVID-19 remains low, both in the U.S. and Illinois.
HCSD 1521/2 is following recommended standards established by the Centers for Disease Control and IDPH. Buildings & Grounds staff is charged with a more rigorous cleaning routine, which includes the daily sanitation of surfaces.
Healthcare professionals recommend the following steps to help reduce the spread of any illness:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home when you are sick and contact your healthcare provider for a plan of care to get better.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Any student or staff member returning from mainland China should not return to school or work for 14 days after their return to the U.S.. Family members of these students or employees should also not attend work or school if they traveled to mainland China for 14 days.
The IDPH does NOT recommend:
- The use of masks or gloves.
- Canceling mass gatherings.
- Canceling classes.
We kindly request that students displaying or experiencing flu-like symptoms be kept home. Additionally, please encourage hygienic practices including hand washing and coughing/sneezing etiquette. HCSD 1521/2 will continue to follow state and federal recommendations and will keep families informed of any updates.