Welcome and Thank you for visiting the Hazel Crest School District 152½ Department of Special Services page!
Here you will find valuable information related to the Special Services Department. Please feel free to contact our office at 708-825-0068 with any questions or concerns.
The Hazel Crest School District 152½ Department of Special Services strives to provide the "least restrictive environment" for each child. HCSD 152½ provides a continuum of individualized programs to meet each student's unique learning needs.
We provide services to preschool students, students with disabilities, early intervention transitions, gifted and talented, students. We also provide ACCESS testing and English as a Second Language/English Language Learners students services.
Our Special Education Services are provided both in district as well as in collaboration with our Co-op, Exceptional Children Have Opportunities (ECHO). We work with ECHO to extend the options of placement to the families living within the Hazel Crest School District 152½ boundaries. We offer three placement types in district:
- Co-Teaching (provided in the general education classroom) occurs in general education classrooms where students require assistance in the areas of organizational skills, curriculum reinforcement, and varied instructional strategies. The co-teaching model provides students with an opportunity to interact with general and special educators in a collaborative manner that seeks to maximize educational experiences and enhance learning in the general education classroom.
- Self-Contained classroom for students that benefit from more individualized instruction.
- Resource Pull-Out program (in a separate special education classroom) provides a replacement curriculum for those students with disabilities requiring a differentiated approach to curriculum requirements. The Resource Pull-out model parallels the general education curriculum, as well as provide small group instruction using a multi-modal approach to learning.
The Hazel Crest School District 152½ Department of Special Services and Special Services Team is a group of professionals dedicated to identifying and meeting the diverse needs of each student through Individualized Education Programming. We strive for all of our students to reach their academic, social and emotional potential in the least restrictive environment (LRE) possible as they become active members of a global society.
The Hazel Crest School District 152½ Department of Special Services is dedicated to serving your children by:
- Offering a full continuum of special education and related services in the least restrictive environment to children from age 3 until their completion of the 8th grade and supporting their subsequent high school transition.
- Implementing research-based classroom practices designed to improve academic outcomes and behavioral performance for all students
- Partnering with parents to promote the collaboration among the school, home, and community that enables all students to achieve throughout their educational experience and beyond.
Special education provides specially designed services and programs for children with various educational needs. Special education services are intended to meet each student's individual needs and enhance their strengths. Students and parents are introduced to special education in several ways. Some disabilities can be identified when children are very young. Others are not identified until children show difficulty in general education programs. Special education programs and services are designed to assure that children with disabilities receive appropriate and equal opportunities for educational growth. Together we plan and provide educational programs for students with disabilities in partnership with the general education staff, families, community, administration, and other professionals to promote student success.
To learn more or to arrange services for children residing in the Hazel Crest School District 152½ boundaries, please contact the Special Services Department at (708) 825-0068.
Yolanda T. Payne
Assistant Superintendent of Schools
Hazel Crest School District 152½
Hazel Crest School District 152½